Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 78

Thread: For LAMEFAQs Summer 2003 contest, vote CATS!

  1. #51
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What has KOS-MOS done for video games? Being one of the protagonists of the most complex, involving, amazing story every told in a video game (and any media item? We will see). Looks good enough for me. Certainly better than the protagonist of yet another platform saga. Samus' role as one of the first female leads is important, but I don't think it's that important, and I think the Xeno saga is much more important to the RPG genre than Metroid is to the platform genre. Besides, I had played other platformers which are pretty much like Metroid (Platform/Action/Puzzle), some of them were old PC games, while I had never played a game like Xenosaga, which has such a great story and characters in an RPG with such great gameplay and combat system, plus great music.

  2. #52
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    ACtually, I find Xenosaga and gears to be completely non important RPGs. They have done NOTHING at all for the genre. Ok, so what they're good. MEtroid as well is good, Super Metroid is probably my second fave non RPG game.

    And again, rihgt now KOS-MOS character stinks. Samus can stink (even though she got some characterization in Fusion) because she's alone on an alien planet. In RPGs however, I wanna seechars develop, one of the reasons why I love Grandia 1. But in xenosaga, I saw no characterization at all in KOS-MOS. She's a very very boring character right now, I find Ziggy more interesting than her.

  3. #53
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that the Xeno-series is to RPG world what serious anime is to anime.

    Is an RPG for mature audiences, and because of that, the perception may be different, if you aren't looking for a game which has a deep, long and a really complex story behind. (or you are looking for a game that you actually play more than you see animated scenes... [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

    In that meaning, Xenosaga is a really good apportation to RPG's, but as a story, not only as a game.

    In exchange, a game like Metroid Prime, should give you much more action, and platforming (and more "instantaneous" fun) than a Xeno game (if we start by the point that they are completely different genres) so, it is also a good aportation to the action/platforming games

    Then, the question is, what do you prefer, action/platform games, or RPGs?

    In this meaning, Xenosaga has a really good point: What is much more hooking and addictive than the plot of a good RPG game? of course, a series of them in which the plot is told through several episodes.

    Any of them may have lacks (Kos-mos personality developping, but she is a machine, this implies some cliches, and this seems not to be an exception, according to Xell's words) but it is solved, if we see that the game is only a part of a whole thing.

    What good has Metroid Prime? action games are sure fun. They don't need too much plot (though they're funnier if they have one, or if the player's actions have any influence on the story of the game) And most of the times are simple to understand (what doesn't imply this is the case)

    But if you lose a part of the Metroid series is not the same as if you lose a part of the Shenmue, or the Xenosaga, for example. you don't lose a part of the story of the game.

  4. #54
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    But what has Xeno done for RPGs? Nothing.

    And coomparing chars, I find Samus more interesting than KM, mainly form Fusion.

  5. #55
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Xellos:

    ACtually, I find Xenosaga and gears to be completely non important RPGs.

    That's your opinion, and it's completely different from mine, Melfice's, and others'. I think Xenosaga and Xenogears are *vital* for hardcore gamers like me. Thanks to them, I like the RPG genre even more. Thanks to them, I can say videogames can easily compare to the best, deepest books (at least the ones I've read). Thanks to them, I can say videogames can portray an ultra-complex, deep, long story (deeper and more complex than the stories found in Grandia II, FFX, and any other RPG I've played).

    rihgt now KOS-MOS character stinks

    Same as above.

    In RPGs however, I wanna seechars develop

    So do I, but anyways, are we comparing genres, or characters here? This is a character contest. And if you are going to look at the games, it's a fact that KOS-MOS talks more than Samus and shows more emotions towards others.

  6. #56
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Back on topic...

    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=106805

    Make sure you go to scene select XD

  7. #57
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    But what has Xeno done for RPGs? Nothing.

    Allow me to paste something:

    That's your opinion, and it's completely different from mine, Melfice's, and others'. I think Xenosaga and Xenogears are *vital* for hardcore gamers like me. Thanks to them, I like the RPG genre even more. Thanks to them, I can say videogames can easily compare to the best, deepest books (at least the ones I've read). Thanks to them, I can say videogames can portray an ultra-complex, deep, long story (deeper and more complex than the stories found in Grandia II, FFX, and any other RPG I've played).

  8. #58
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's okay,i think that there are radical players of Xeno- stuff because Xeno-games must be good, or must apport something significant to the RPG scene, that they don't see on other games.

    I've seen, in Xenogears, a game really good, a complex story, good music, a not so good playability (battles could be a little more fun) still acceptable, and, after all, a game that can keep you amused for a while.

    Not obstant, i haven't tried MP.

  9. #59
    Inactive Member melfice's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4,689
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (damm it, i can't see the flash animation! >_<U)

  10. #60
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Melfice:

    I've seen, in Xenogears, a game really good, a complex story, good music, a not so good playability (battles could be a little more fun) [...]

    Xenosaga is just like that, only great gameplay as well, and decent to great new gen graphics. (Still, I think Xenogears' "completeness" weights more and Xenogears will remain as my favorite game until maybe Episode 2. But Xenosaga is at least second.)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •